Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Everything else is early,

"songbird" wrote in message
Steve Peek wrote:

So why not the bugs? I found the first two Mexican bean beetles today.
They
met with an untimely end or perhaps that was timely?

[you do know that mentioning the word "bean"
around here is dangerous right? ]

?

are these the same beetles that used to be
sold as mexican jumping beans to kids in the
back pages of comic books (along with sea
monkeys )?

I don't know. These are just a little bigger than lady bugs and metallic
bronze in color with black spots. They can turn bean leaves to lace quite
quickly.

as for the seasons, things are evening out
here. had a nice rain yesterday afternoon,
forgot to check the forecast in the morning and
previously it had said no rain this week so i
watered as i needed to be sure all the beans
planted had enough moisture to continue
sprouting, 2hrs later it rains, go figure...
i needed the break anyways as i'd just finished
turning and planting.

today and tomorrow, finally planting the north
bean patch, beautiful days to be out.

cooked up a batch of dried cranberry beans
yesterday to make sure i wanted to plant more.
good thing, taste good, but i prefer other beans
for eating/burritoes/etc. still planted plenty
of them elsewhere for shelling.

The bean I'm growing this year is an heirloom pole bean locally called
"greasy beans". The strain has been in my family and one other for well over
100 years. I usually grow it every other year for canning and leather
britches. I wouldn't dream of planting another bean at the same time for
fear of crossing them although I do grow soybeans the same year.

I plan to try to grow "yellow eyed beans" from supermarket seed. They are my
favorite soup bean. Hopefully they are a bush type bean, this trellising is
a big job. It took a dozen posts for three rows.

have you ever grown adzuki beans?

I'm not familar with them.

songbird