Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Powdery Mildew on Tuberous Begonias

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 11:01:48 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Just noticed there is the first signs of Powdery Mildew attacking the leaves
of some of my Tuberous Begonias. It's normally an autumn thing but I assume
this unusually cold wet weather has brought it on early. Everything I look
at in the Garden Centres specifically says not to be used on Begonias, or it
does when you search the manufacturers web site.
These are some expensive show begonias and some I inherited from my mother
in 1993 so I don't want to lose any of them.
Anyone know what I can use to cure or prevent it spreading?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

According to RHS, there are now no effective curative fungicides
available for domestic use anyway. But I BELIEVE that Bayer Fungus
Fighter Disease Control is OK to use on begonias and has some
preventive impact - you should be using it almost as soon as leaves
emerge sort of thing. If the infection is very recent, though, it may
help. I've checked Bayer web site and they don't say "not on begonias"
for this product but suggest you check with Bayer Customer Services to
be sure.

Otherwise it's a case of quick removal of any infected leaves and all
fallen plant matter, drying the atmosphere, creating air flow
(removing some unaffected foliage may mean they're not show worthy
this year but be life-saving for next) and crossing fingers.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.