Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default Magpies digging up plants & nicking tags?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 13:59:39 +0100, David Hill

On 2012-06-07, Kathy wrote:

wrote in message
In ,
says...

I recently found that something had been digging around in one of my
vegetable containers; at first I figured it was a cat, but there was
no poo,& three copper plant tags had disappeared. I've seen magpies
around occasionally this year,& someone told me they like to take
shiny things back to their nests.

Comments, suggestions?

I've seen crows collecting small treasures they take a fancy to.

My jackdaw once took a fancy to one of my gold sleeper earrings. Never
did
find it.

ouch!

I wonder if you sprayed the weeds with gold spray would the Magpies
collect them?

Do they collect dandelions? :-)

I've never seen one on the ground collecting them, but my Jack loved them.
At a pinch he would eat the leaves, but went barmy over the flowers.

--
Kathy