Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trellis with ever greens on

"dllive" wrote in message

Hi, this is my first time here so please be gentle with me!

Ive recently started gardening. I have a very small garden and would
like to make the most of the space with evergreens (perennials?), a bit
of colour and some veg/herbs. I bought a great book recently which
showed tips on how to best utilise small space for veg/plants/flowers.

On one side of the garden is a a white wall measuring 4 x 4 metres. I
dont like this white wall and Im thinking of putting up some trellis and
having some climbers or something that will be green all year round and
flower in the summer. However (and this is why I havnt got into
gardening before) Im impatient and want something fast growing so that
within the year that wall is covered in foliage. Does such a thing exist
and is this achievable? Shoudl I buy a plant that is already well
matured? What should I look for when buying trellis or is it all teh
same? In my little front garden I have a nice honeysuckle climbing wall,
but that goes dormant in the winter. I want foliage all year round.

Thanks
PS
the wall is south facing, but the garden is cold because its exposed and
gets battered by the elements.

--
dllive

Please don't go for something fast growing, the plant with an off switch has
yet to be invented and you will spend 1 year waiting for the plant to fill
the space 1 week with it looking good and the rest of your life trying to
control it!

As a suggestion take a look at Trachelospermum jasminoides, Majus is a good
free flowering form. neat evergreen with scented white summer flowers

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs