Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is the UK humid?

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Jun 9, 4:49=A0pm, BlackThumb wrote:

I have done some searching on Google, and people say it is. The reason
why I'm asking is because I have had a Camellia Sinensis and Coffea
Arabica for a couple of months now, and they are growing. The only
problem I had was when I left the Camellia Sinensis next to a window.

You need to understand the concept of relative humidity. It may be
high RH outdoors but indoors it can be low RH just because the air has
been heated.

Yes, at least if you have central heating. However, to return
to our muttons, very few plants grown in the UK can handle high
relative humidity at higher temperatures - that is fungal
heaven. In general, only tropical jungle plants (and those
are not) can.

Camellia sinensis is a tropical montaigne plant, which is why
it does well in the West Country - Coffea arabica comes from
Ethiopia, and I believe that it may be the same (though quite
possibly requiring less humidity, as I have seen it growing
in central Africa on the savanna).

For some more information on the UK's climate, look for the
uk.rec.gardening FAQ (by yours truly).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.