Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia[_3_] Fuschia[_3_] is offline

Default The game may be up

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:45:16 +1000, "Peter Howard"
wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message
We received a letter today from the estate agents who administer our
allotment site on behalf of the owners, that the site is to be sold, by
private treaty and informal tender. So after nearly 100 years of
gardening, it looks like our plot will soon be housing. I can't see anyone
wanting to buy it and keep it as allotments.

www.savills.co.uk/canfordportfolio refers. Lot 1g is the allotment site,
just in case you want to save us.

The new owners will apparently have to give us 12 months notice, but the
sale is expected to be completed in autumn of this year. So we're on
borrowed time.

Steve

3.85 acres.The developers should be able to squeeze 50 townhouses on to
that. The buyers of the townhouses will be trying to grow a few tomatoes in
containers in their pocket -handkerchief courtyards while yearning for a
bit of real dirt somewhere.
I can only imagine how you must be feeling with the end of an era staring
you in the face. I notice that the "guide price" is $75000 which is a lot to
the average Joe but chickenfeed to a Local Council. It strikes me that your
local authority should be encouraging the intriguing British tradition of
allotmenteering which is all but unknown here in the Colonies. They should
buy the parcel and another one as well to provide for the new residents in
what is sure to be high density/maximum profit housing built on other
parcels. Though after lurking around uk.rec.gardening for a while and
reading about this years lovely warm sunny fecund British Spring I can't
imagine why you bother.
Other posters to this thread have made some suggestions which may be worth
following up. Best of luck!

That guide price is very much less than the value of building land,
which suggests that planning permission for building is not available.