Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Out, out, damn slug!

Jake wrote in
:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:55:33 +0100, Spider wrote:

The last time I trod on a slug, I slipped on its innards and nearly
fell all the way down our very steep drive :~/. Dangerous things,
these slugs.

My favourite despatch method is a little kiddies' beach bucket sized
thing of very salty water. Plink, plink, fizz sort of job. Also handy
for making soup for mothers-in-law.

Any resulting empty snail shells can be left out for the homeless if
you are so inclined. Encouraging slugs to take up residence makes it a
lot less messy when picking them off plants ;-)

A lot of people don't know that it's very difficult to wash slug slime
off anything because the slime simply absorbs water and expands (hence
even more slippery). You need to dry it off. On hands, rub like crazy
and it'll clump up and fall off. On ground, some salt will absorb the
moisture; otherwise a bit of sand.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.

Slugs can be cooked and eaten if they have no chemicals within them.
To make sure of no chemicals, isolate them and give them greens for at
least 48 hours. Cook and enjoy.
Take the plunge, we have all eaten garden snails haven't we?, slugs are
only snails without that shell.

Baz