Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Out, out, damn slug!

On 10/06/2012 15:20, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:55:33 +0100, wrote:

The last time I trod on a slug, I slipped on its innards and nearly fell
all the way down our very steep drive :~/. Dangerous things, these slugs.

My favourite despatch method is a little kiddies' beach bucket sized
thing of very salty water. Plink, plink, fizz sort of job. Also handy
for making soup for mothers-in-law.

Sadly, I'm too much of a wimp to see them suffer. At least they have
two chances when I send them flying.
Glad I'm not your mother-in-law!

Any resulting empty snail shells can be left out for the homeless if
you are so inclined. Encouraging slugs to take up residence makes it a
lot less messy when picking them off plants ;-)

Oh great idea! I'll put out a pair of warm slippers for them, too, and
make them a cup of tea! ;~)

A lot of people don't know that it's very difficult to wash slug slime
off anything because the slime simply absorbs water and expands (hence
even more slippery). You need to dry it off. On hands, rub like crazy
and it'll clump up and fall off. On ground, some salt will absorb the
moisture; otherwise a bit of sand.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.

Yuk! I made that discovery. Usually I wipe the slime off on the house
wall or some other rough surface. Last night, I tried washing my hands
with the result you describe. Yuk yuk yuckety-yuk!
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London