Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Chipmunks eating my blueberries

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 12:04:37 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 09:12:10 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 23:49:36 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about
how to
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for
cats in my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps,
are there any poisons that are good for chipmunks?

Use the rat trap & bait with peanut butter. IMHO they are just as
or more so tasty than squirrel. You just need more for a meal.

if you have ants and birds around you may want
to put them under a box with gaps in the sides. otherwise you'll find
birds in the rat traps too.

if you have extra sunflower seeds i mix them
in the peanut butter.

songbird

I have never found birds in the rat traps, but I always set them in
chipmunk runs between plants or tubs on the deck. IT isn't hard to
see where they are coming from and in the "real" garden, they leave
obvious holes. And really, there is no need to use anything beyond
the cheapest scrapings from an peanut butter jar. Frankly, I don't
cater meals to critters I am looking to knock off and I don't have
trouble getting them in the plain traps, either, with just a hint of
peanut butter scent and "l'eau de dead chipmunk."

I have found many odd creatures in the Have-a-Heart traps we set out
for groundhogs, though...skunks, possums, raccoons, cats,
crows....and the groundhogs, natch.

Boron

I'll get a bunch of rat traps at Home Depot today, a couple of the
mouse traps that I set out yesterday were tripped but they didn't catch
anything. I'm also going to get some rat poison. The area around my
blueberries is fully netted so catching birds won't be a problem.

I hope no favorite pets visit around your blueberries.

My cats are indoor cats, if they were outdoor cats I wouldn't have a
chipmunk problem. My last cat was an outdoor cat and he killed at least
one chipmunk a day. Unfortunately the Coyote population has skyrocketed
since the ACME corporation settled with the Consumer Products Safety
Commission. It's no longer safe to let cats roam outdoors so I have to
rely on traps and poison.