Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Chipmunks eating my blueberries

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:25:58 +0000, fuzzy2010 wrote:

General Schvantzkoph;961002 Wrote:
I just saw a chipmunk eating my blueberries, any suggestions about how
kill them? My cats are indoor cats because it's no longer safe for cats
in
my neighborhood. I'm going to set a number of mousetraps, are there any

poisons that are good for chipmunks?

Hi,

I found this site called Ten Humane Ways to Get Rid of Chipmunks:

'Ten Humane Ways to Get Rid of Chipmunks' (http://tinyurl.com/36p788r)

I’m hoping you guys would be willing to give these a try? We have a
bunch of chipmunks living around our yard and we have a garden and never
had a problem. I have a soft spot when it comes to animals and figure
they are just trying to survive in this world like the rest of us. I’m
hoping these ideas will help you all. Thanks for considering this.

I've tried a number of things on that list, they don't work. Plastic owls
don't fool anybody, I tried one and the birds used it as a perch. I've
also tried used kitty litter, that was the worst mistake I ever made in my
garden. Kitty litter turns into a slurry when it gets wet, and once wet it
never dries and it stays around forever. After several years of stepping
into kitty litter quicksand I dug it out and buried it in the woods. I am
using Critter Ridder repellent, I have no evidence one way or the other on
that so I bought so more this year out of shear desperation.