Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Chipmunks eating my blueberries

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:25:58 +0000, fuzzy2010 wrote:

-snip-
'Ten Humane Ways to Get Rid of Chipmunks' (http://tinyurl.com/36p788r)

-snip-
I've tried a number of things on that list, they don't work. Plastic owls
don't fool anybody, I tried one and the birds used it as a perch.

I'd be tempted to get one of those owls for the photo opportunity--
but they are way too expensive.

I love the 'review' on the live trap-
" I ordered it and within 30 minutes of getting it and setting it up I
heard the "Snap" of the trap. Sure enough, I finally had safely
trapped the chipmunk. I delivered him to the arboretum across the
street, where I hope he lived happily ever after."

1 chipmunk? Moved him all the way across the street? That's rich.

The fox urine *is* a possibility, though. I used liquid fence for a
rascally rabbit one year & it seemed to work. [that bugger was a
ghost-- got through fences, never showed himself when I was armed, and
would *not* go in a trap] Expensive, and a pain in the butt--- but
it worked.

The ultrasonic repellent might be worth $15 to try, too.

-snip-
into kitty litter quicksand I dug it out and buried it in the woods. I am
using Critter Ridder repellent, I have no evidence one way or the other on
that so I bought so more this year out of shear desperation.

Have the chipmunks kept coming after you used it? That look's like a
pepper/capsicum based one. I've tried them with squirrels and they
were useless.

Jim