Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Medlar an unusual fruit

I pulled my medlars to make jelly this week and came across some unusual
examples.

This is the bottom view of a typical fruit. They are about 4-5 cm across.
You can see why it is called the 'open arse fruit'.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...arNoLeaves.jpg

Here is a strange one. As far as I can tell there are leaves growing from
the fruit itself, not something you see too often.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...dlarLeaves.jpg

The same album shows the tree and flowers for those who are interested.

David