Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The game may be up

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:41:36 +0100, shazzbat wrote:

I think that Canford school, a major fee-paying school in the region and
the main item in Canford estate's portfolio, needs money for a major
rebuild they are having if I hear correctly. All this may be to finance
that, I don't know.

That would seem likely, digging about through accounts and proposals
might be fruitful. Chucking long standing (100 years did you say)
allotment holders off would not be good publicity for a school, even
if they had sold the land. Maybe alert the local press now whilst
they are still the landlord, would deter developers a little if they
got the impression that there was likely to be a fight.

There are both grass snakes and adders in the vicinity, I have seen the
former on my own allotment, and have heard about adders from others.

Both protected species, got any newts or bats? Maybe you could
encourage bats, if you had a shed or two with bats that would really
slow down developers. Remember the allotment holders are on rolling
12 month leases with "various" start thus ending dates. Make sure
everyone renews their lease promptly.

If we could get some form of SSSI or conservation area status that
would help.

I *think* an SSSI would stop you cultivating the land but would also
stop it being developed. But rare/protected species (animal or plant)
may get the land some protection in it's current form.

Any trees? If they aren't a problem for the allotment holders get
Tree Preservation Orders on them, they are a problem get any work
done then get TPO's... More obstacles for a developer to overcome or
work around, makes the plot less attractive.

I will still object to the application, but without much hope of
success.

That's a bit negative. How about trying one of those internet based
money raising things? You might not get much but it opens the
possible donors to the world not just the holders and their friends
and family, also makes it "just a click to give" instead of the chore
of writing a cheque or handing over cash.

--
Cheers
Dave.