Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Dean25 Dean25 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
It is exceedingly common as a garden plant. Surely you will find several within a few mins walk of you, if you live in a residential area. Can't you wander around your locality and ask to take a sucker from someone?

I've even seen it in public plantings, for example outside supermarkets and the like. Could probably steal one from there.

It does come in various varieties. If you want a specific variety for the particular leaf form, etc, you'd be better off buying one from a garden centre, they aren't expensive.

Some do seem to sucker more than others, don't know why.
yes the Standard Stag horn sumach suckers the most, the other cut leaf versions dont get as large or sucker as much. not many garden centres have it and the garden centre that does are selling them at £15 each. I wanted a few suckers to grow on and I cant afford to buy say £45 worth! I do see lots in nearby gardens but Im not brave enough to ask strangers to dig up suckers for me! would be a bit odd!