Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
I do use news groups but I find them a PITA as you get every thing downloaded whether you want to read it or not,
Not with a decent newsreader - you can download just the headers, then go back and pick the threads you're interested in. But if you're reading every day, then on a moderately used newsgroup like urg, you shouldn't have problems with too large a download. You don't have to read everything, and the newsreader can be set to show you only new posts. And the really great advantage is that they are threaded correctly - something a web forum does not do.
The only problem is if you go on holiday - but that's still a problem with a web forum
Quote:

and the download speed is throttled to 116Kbs. With GB I just open the threads that interest me and they come down at 7.5Mbs
that's not a function of newgroups, that's your particular supplier set up. Of course, back when everyone was using dial-up, there was a very real advantage to newsgroups in that you could read and draft replies off-line.

Quote:

Forums do have some very real advantages over groups, you don't need to quote anything unless you want to reply to a specific pert of someone's text,
you can use emoticons if you want,
Both of these are true of newsgroups too. Emoticons originated in newsgroups
Quote:

you can embed pictures into your posts
some newsgroups accept pictures. I agree most don't - I think because they originated in dial-up days
Quote:

but above all you can moderate and ban people if they seriously misbehave, you can set the rules in a 'stickey'
You can moderate newsgroups and ban users. Moderation depends on a willing and committed moderator, which is why urg has never gone that route.

Quote:

It does get taken down if you click on the 'report as inappropriate button' but I think it is only if it originates from a GB subscriber, not an URG one.
I've reported blatant spammers/advertisers only to see them pop up again a few days later.