Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Dying Tulips

On 6/11/2012 10:31 AM, skippysje wrote:
I've just moved and now have a garden for the first time.
The garden was already full of plants when I moved, but the Tulips the
were growing are now dying.They were erect then they started to fall
over, the heads then started to grow upwards again although the stems
were still laying almost flat.

Could this be caused by the fact it has been very wet lately with little
sunshine, except for about 1 week of very good weather?

And what should I be doing to save the Tulips?

If you are in the UK, I'd guess that tulips should be pretty much past
their sell-by date and heading toward dormancy at this late date. My
limited experience is that tulips would be at full bloom in April or early
May even in the north counties. They were blooming beautifully in Carlisle
in early May two years back and at roughly the same time in Inverness last
year. I guess that it could be that yours were beaten down by rain (you're
not in Wales are you?) or suffering from bad soil drainage but my guess
would still be that they are simply going through their normal life cycle.
Around my area of the US it often takes no more than a month to go from
blooming to brown.