Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Any owners of Rhus, stag horn sumach tree please read.

"David Hill" wrote ...
Dean wrote:
Nick Wrote:
harry wrote:-
Dean wrote:
-
Hey there to anyone reading this, I live in the the Uk, Bucks im 25
and
a keen gardener. A plant which I am currently growing from seed is
Rhus
Typhinia, stags horn sumach, my favourite tree, I already know alot
about the tree but Im Wondering If anyone Who doesnt live a million
miles away from me has a parent tree they could Propogate some suckers
from for me?!

Apparently they grow more rapidly from suckers than seed. Im aware the
plant/tree has some unpopular habits but I love them! I hope to hear
from anyone who can help. Obviously Happy to swap/pay for them etc
:-)-

You do know it is a non-native species that is considered as bad as
knotweed by some?
Best to dig it up and burn it.-

Well, there are always a few idiots who claim ridiculous things.

Yes, it suckers profusely and that habit can make it a menace.
However, if it is in a position that the suckers can be kept
under control (e.g. if it is in a lawn, and they are mown off)
and won't damage anything, then that's not a problem. Bay
(Laurus nobilis) suckers, too.

I would be careful about burning it (I don't burn my Cotinus
coggygria prunings), because it is related to Toxicodendron
(poison ivy/oak), and I don't trust the smoke not to be toxic
and damage people's lungs.

Im really just looking for replies from people who have the tree! I
already know alot about it and its hardly equal to knotweed. The tree
doesnt damage anything, its been ornamentally grown in the uk for over
300 years.
Helpful comments only people!

Yes, I have it and it suckers well into gravel so pulls easily.

We had it but the suckers came up everywhere, mower was always hitting the
roots too, and when the suckers started to come up in next doors garden,
having travelled under our drive, I cut it down and poisoned it.
Personally, whilst I like the look of tree there are others out there that
stay small, are better looking, but don't have quite the same bad habits.
I'm presently growing some Albizia julibrissin from seed.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.