Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default It it just me ...?

In article , Granity.a4bb8b6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

kay;961280 Wrote:
If that was just gb, then I would expect to see "further information"
but find that I'm the only person answering, because those on the urg
side of the fence don't see the further information. I can't say I've
noticed, but haven't really been looking.
Even before gb urg was going that way a bit. In the early days there
really was a community, which was why we set up the urgring to see each
other's gardens, and had urgmeets in various parts of the country. But
that was in the early days when you had to have a certain level of
geekiness to be on the internet, and you would meet the same people in
all sorts of different groups (we used to joke that all the newgroups
were populated by the same 100 posters). As the internet got more
popular, there was a steady rise in the people treating it as a
gardening CAB.
No.
The only community is on urg, basically you lot in Wales, and the
Devon/Cornwall lot. Largely people who also know each other in real
life. There are other regular posters from gb - I can think of at least
one.
Dunno.

I note they have strict rules about gb users using it for their own
advertising, but they make no effort to monitor this and remove ads. So
it would look as if they have taken a pragmatic decision that it's
bringing in the money OK as it is.

Please let me know if you see my answer!

I pop in to GB most days, On the odd occasion that I've asked a question
only once did I not receive any replies, most of the time I've had quite
a few replies.

I do use news groups but I find them a PITA as you get every thing
downloaded whether you want to read it or not, and the download speed is
throttled to 116Kbs. With GB I just open the threads that interest me
and they come down at 7.5Mbs

Forums do have some very real advantages over groups, you don't need to
quote anything unless you want to reply to a specific pert of someone's
text, you can use emoticons if you want, you can embed pictures into
your posts but above all you can moderate and ban people if they
seriously misbehave, you can set the rules in a 'stickey'
There are companies such as 'Free Forum Hosting - InvisionFree'
(http://www.invisionfree.com/) that allow you to set up forums for
free.

I note they have strict rules about gb users using it for their own
advertising, but they make no effort to monitor this and remove ads. So
it would look as if they have taken a pragmatic decision that it's
bringing in the money OK as it is.

It does get taken down if you click on the 'report as inappropriate
button' but I think it is only if it originates from a GB subscriber,
not an URG one.

--
Granity

Granity's banterpost has appeared, but the original of Kay's did not .

Janet