Old 11-06-2012, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_3_] Pete C[_3_] is offline

Default Rain.....

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Pete C" wrote in
:

.......isn't the word, we need a new one. It's persisted down since
4pm yesterday. About 11 this morning it eased a bit so I donned wet
gear and went to inspect the allotment. 90% underwater, up to 5". I'm
gonna lose the majority of crops I reckon. Might get away with
strawbs, broad beans and possibly cabbage. Seeds nurtured indoors,
then greenhouse and planted out, months of work gone

Pete C

I know the feeling well! Gutted.
IME this year after standing water the potatoes have done well.
Broad beans are so/so, some recovered and some died, same with peas.
I had some carrots sown indoors in bog roll cardboard, planted them out
with a bulb planter and they are yellow now, not green, so they are
probably not going to do well.
Everything else is/are non-starters.

Hope you get some better luck in the near future.
Baz

Thanks, I remember your probs. 2 months of nurturing seeds indoors then
greenhouse all down the drain. I'll start some stuff again in the hope of a
late summer. Like David Roberts reckons (above)
Pete C