Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My free seeds from Grow it magazine

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in
:

I must admit, I'm not a stickler for hardening off. My version of
hardening off is to move from 'in the house' to 'in the greenhouse'.
At this time of year I don't think it makes /that/ much difference.
Birds, slugs and mice are a lot more of a problem than the weather,
normally. (Although given the rain today, I may get more drownings)

You got rain today?
Our day off from it. Looked all day like we could have a cloudburst
though.
Very cool too.
You wouldn't normally think to harden off plants in June would you, but I
don't think this is an ordinary June. Mostly cold, windy and wet up to now
here in N.lincs.

Threw it down all day and 11C. To go down to my lottie (or shop) I have to
take my car on a single track road under a railway bridge which has been
impassable from a week last Sunday apart from a day and half, through
flooding.
I can take a 3 mile detour.
I'm being a pain to my county councillor about it and he is finally taking
me seriously.
There are two drains under the bridge - it's been a historic problem but
they never clean the culvert out that it drains to!
Mums who have no cars cannot get their children to school unless they have
waders.

However, I have told him that we are more than fed up to be marooned and if
he does not anything about it on the second time of asking he will find his
name in the newspaper.

That worked! The culvert will be cleared on 20 June, as they have to get
permission from the railway company to go on their land to do it. Pity he
didn't do anything about it 8 weeks ago when I asked him to sort it out the
first time.