Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Medlar an unusual fruit

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I pulled my medlars to make jelly this week and came across some unusual
examples.

This is the bottom view of a typical fruit. They are about 4-5 cm across.
You can see why it is called the 'open arse fruit'.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...arNoLeaves.jpg

interesting looking fruit. what does it taste like?

Here is a strange one. As far as I can tell there are leaves growing from
the fruit itself, not something you see too often.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...dlarLeaves.jpg

i've never seen the tree/flowers/fruit before, thanks for
the pictures.

cannot say too much about development or oddballness of
this picture, but i'd say the fruit looks similar enough
to apple, pear or blueberry with the bits hanging off the
bottom.

The same album shows the tree and flowers for those who are interested.

songbird