Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Grow light ?

Steve Peek wrote:
I've been using full spectrum (sunlight) fluorescent tubes for plant
starting for the last several years. Does the quality of that light diminish
with age (use)? I've noticed (this spring especially) the seedlings seem to
be getting more leggy even with only six weeks under the lights.
Steve

Some wear out a lot faster than others. What *exactly* lamps are you
using? Triphosphor F32T8's maintain about 90% of their luminance for
their whole 20000 to 30000 hour lives. Older technology T12 lamps last
just as long but can lose 50% or more.

-Bob