View Single Post
  #18   Report Post  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Ah, I see - you are arguing for using pure forums, I've now started to argue against using a forum to access a newsgroup.

Yes, I post to a forum and to a newsgroup. I prefer the newsgroup - it's what I'm used to, and I like the informality, and the way a newsgroup can develop and keep some sort of order without having a mod. My feeling is that a newsgroup encourages the sort of rambling inconsequential chat that we get on urg and which I enjoy, whereas forums are more disciplined and less relaxed. It also takes a lot more typing on a forum - none of those handy acronyms.

But I also feel regret for the newsgroups of 10-15 years ago, when it was much easier to turn newsgroup friendships into real life ones.
Oh sorry Kay, yes I was arguing for a pure forum rather than a forum as an interface to a news group.
It doesn't have to be too rigid you could have, for a gardening one, a sub forum called the potting shed where you could start a thread on anything you liked, well, within reason. :-) And you can have a chat room where two or three members can have a chat, or more if they are all fast typers.