Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Grow light ?

Steve Peek wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Steve Peek wrote:
I've been using full spectrum (sunlight) fluorescent tubes for plant
starting for the last several years. Does the quality of that light
diminish with age (use)? I've noticed (this spring especially) the
seedlings seem to be getting more leggy even with only six weeks
under the lights.
Steve

Some wear out a lot faster than others. What *exactly* lamps are you
using? Triphosphor F32T8's maintain about 90% of their luminance for
their whole 20000 to 30000 hour lives. Older technology T12 lamps
last just as long but can lose 50% or more.

-Bob

Thanks, I have 2 lamps. One has F32T8 and the other has F40T12
"sunshine" bulbs. The largest portion of my plants were started under
the F32T8's. The bulbs have only been used for 4-5 seasons and only
for seed starting. The problem may be with my starting medium. Last
year I switched to the compressed peat pellets. I'm not pleased with
the results.
Next years' plan: Exchange the F40 bulbs with F32s and go back to the
little plastic seed trays.

Those compressed peat pods are crap . Last 2 years I used them and the
seeds had low germ rates and the plants were weak and spindly . Yes , I did
use some fertilizer , Amway IIRC . This year I got some formed
paper/cardboard pots and the results are *MUCH* better . Seedlings grew
faster , are more stocky , and all around much better results . My 'maters
are covered up with fruit and blossoms , and I've already picked my first
zucchini .
I also planted some stuff in toilet paper and towel rolls . Cut off to
about 2" lengths and stand on end in a dish or tray , fill with dirt . They
decompose very nicely at the bottom , roots were very vigorous . And they're
free ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps