Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default 'Mater ties

"Snag" wrote in message
The plastic bag my morning paper comes in makes an excellent tie strip to
tie my tomatoes to the stakes . I pinch a corner off the bottom so I'm not
fighting trapped air .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

I used to use my better half's knee high stockings, but about 10 years ago I
bought a roll of 5 foot concrete reinforcing wire and made cages. It is very
stiff and hard to work with but the cages last a long, long time. One tip if
anyone decides to do this: The cages will become top heavy by late summer so
make your diameter at least 18 inches, 24 would be better.
Steve