Old 13-06-2012, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Medlar an unusual fruit

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
I pulled my medlars to make jelly this week and came across some
unusual examples.

This is the bottom view of a typical fruit. They are about 4-5 cm
across. You can see why it is called the 'open arse fruit'.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...arNoLeaves.jpg

interesting looking fruit. what does it taste like?

Raw the flavour is not much, like quinces in that respect, nor is the
texture or colour. Cooked it makes good jelly which can be a
vibrant red colour and tastes like spicy apples.

Regardless of their taste or even usefulness (or that interestingly
gritty testure), I find them a most delightful small tree - gorgeous
in Spring. I had a brilliant crop this year and then the sodding
parrots arrived and not a one was left. And if I have to spread yet
one more piece of bird netting I think I'll spew so please don't
suggest that I do that.

Yes in spring the flowers and new leaves are nice and so they are quite a
handsome tree without fruit. This can be seen in the other pictures for
those who don't have access to one.