Old 13-06-2012, 04:18 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRave View Post
Each time I have attempted the apples have been covered in a white substance. I assumed it was just plant semen.

It was kind of gross so I just left it, I don't know why it was covered with this semen like lubricant but it did not smell, taste or look nice.
Mysterious. Do you mean the fruits or the trees are so covered? There is a tree disease called southern blight (Sclerotium rolfsii), colloquially tree mucus, which affects apple trees, but the "mucus" is on the bark rather than the apples. Common in North America.

Powdery mildew is a white coating, but it's powdery rather than slimy, and on the leaves rather than the fruit, though I suppose it could get knocked onto the fruit.

In an area very close to bee hives, plants can get covered in pollen dropped by bees as they return to their hive, but this covers everything not just apple trees.