Old 13-06-2012, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default 'Mater ties

In article
"Steve Peek" writes:

"Snag" wrote in message
The plastic bag my morning paper comes in makes an excellent tie strip to
tie my tomatoes to the stakes . I pinch a corner off the bottom so I'm not
fighting trapped air .

I used to use my better half's knee high stockings, but about 10 years ago I
bought a roll of 5 foot concrete reinforcing wire and made cages.

So I'm not the only one.

Actually, this is my first round with the roll. I used to buy what
the home centers call "mini mats" -- 4 foot by 8 foot sections of
mesh. But I went to get more this year and found that they have
gone to a much thinner wire (maybe 14 gauge).

The roll is 10 gauge and waiting for attention this weekend.

For the unfamiliar, this is wire welded in a square grid with 6"
spacing. Lots of room for pulling even a very large tomato out.
Years ago, I grew luffa on similar cages, but I think I pulled things
out through the top.

--
Drew Lawson | It's not enough to be alive