Old 13-06-2012, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default It it just me ...?

In message , Granity
writes
snip

I do use news groups but I find them a PITA as you get every thing
downloaded whether you want to read it or not, and the download speed
is
throttled to 116Kbs. With GB I just open the threads that interest me
and they come down at 7.5Mbs

No throttling here downloading directly at 20mbs
Forums do have some very real advantages over groups, you don't need to
quote anything unless you want to reply to a specific pert of someone's
text,

You don't on a news group. I have selected which bits of your last posts
I wish to retain and cut out the rest - simples.
you can use emoticons if you want,

No big deal You may want to send them, I don't want to receive them
you can embed pictures into
your posts

Ideal for virus propagation.
but above all you can moderate and ban people if they
seriously misbehave,

As you can with any half decent news reader, and the decision is made by
each member of the group according to their own individual tastes and
preferences.
you can set the rules in a 'stickey'

Set them in a Kill File - Kill author, subject thread etc.
There are companies such as 'Free Forum Hosting - InvisionFree'
(http://www.invisionfree.com/) that allow you to set up forums for
free.

I note they have strict rules about gb users using it for their own
advertising, but they make no effort to monitor this and remove ads.

Pointless rules then
So
it would look as if they have taken a pragmatic decision that it's
bringing in the money OK as it is.

So not strict at all then.
It does get taken down if you click on the 'report as inappropriate
button' but I think it is only if it originates from a GB subscriber,
not an URG one.

--
Granity

URG is un-moderated aka uncensored