Old 14-06-2012, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Trim Tomato plants ? Pic

On Jun 12, 3:58*pm, (Jerry Ohio-2) wrote:
I have a tomato plant in a pot and it's growing fast . Can I trim off
some of the branches without flowers ? I keep off the suckers . Last
year the plant reached five foot. The plant below is Early Girl.

Jerryhttp://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/SALADANYONE

Don't be in too much of a hurry to trim off good leaves. You don't
know which branch is going to produce flowers. Also you need leaves to
perform photosynthesis. I trim off bottom leaves if they drag on the
ground or get yellow (but my tomatoes are in the ground not in
pots). I planted too close together, so have to caefully remove
crossed branches or crowded center branches, to admit light & air to
plant. That's about the extent of it.

Good that you are removing suckers.

You say plant is growing fast. Are you over-watering? Usual
protocol is to start withholding water when the flowers form. You
want the plant to put its energy into fruit, not foliage.

How big is the pot? Be careful not to let plant get root-bound. Was
last year's plant in a BIG pot? Did it have lots of fruit?