Old 14-06-2012, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dying Tulips

On 6/13/12 10:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 13, 2:04 am, allen73
wrote:
Keep watering the plants after they bloom. When the foliage yellows, cut
the tulips back to the base of the plant with pruning shears or
scissors. You may also be able to just pull up on the foliage to
separate it from the bulb. Stop watering the plants and set the pots in
a cool, dark location, such as a garage, until the spring. Take the
bulbs out of the pots and replant them outdoors about 6 inches deep in a
site that receives full sun. Water them well. They will come up the next
spring.

--
allen73

Oh, I think you just answered my question, above. I thought maybe
they should be in refrigerator, or?

Note, however, that this is a mild Mediterranean climate (So.
California coastal), Will planting the bulbs make them come up too
soon?

David Ross or David Hare-Scott, or somebody in/near my zone, how do
YOU store tulip bulbs?

TIA

HB

I don't even try to grow tulips. I tried once and was very
disappointed. I had placed them in the vegetable bin of my refrigerator
for 6 weeks before planting. I don't remember how many bulbs I planted,
but I got only two to bloom.

My earlier comment in this thread about snails was based on my
experience with flowering bulbs that don't require winter chill. I have
seen bearded iris stalks growing horizontally and then turning vertical
near the end. They had been partially chewed at the base by snails.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see