Old 14-06-2012, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default 'Mater ties

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:36:22 +0000 (UTC), lid (Drew
Lawson) wrote:

In article
"Steve Peek" writes:

"Snag" wrote in message
The plastic bag my morning paper comes in makes an excellent tie strip to
tie my tomatoes to the stakes . I pinch a corner off the bottom so I'm not
fighting trapped air .

I used to use my better half's knee high stockings, but about 10 years ago I
bought a roll of 5 foot concrete reinforcing wire and made cages.

So I'm not the only one.

Actually, this is my first round with the roll.

My method with the roll after trying a few different ways-- I roll
out 10-20' on the driveway and try to flatten it as much as possible.
Then I snip at the 4 or 5' mark. [I wish I'd made a couple 6' ones
for the Sweet 100s]. I cut right at a weld line so I end up with
6" tails that I use to sink into the dirt. Rarely have to add any
additional supports.

-snip-
For the unfamiliar, this is wire welded in a square grid with 6"
spacing. Lots of room for pulling even a very large tomato out.
Years ago, I grew luffa on similar cages, but I think I pulled things
out through the top.

I've got fewer tomatoes in this year so I've got a couple hills of
cucumbers and beans growing on them, too.

I also saved some flat 5x5 pieces that I train some cukes on every
year. I just make a self supporting 2-sided teepee with it and
plant 8-10 cukes around the base. Keeps them up out of the dirt and
slugs.

That mesh is some good stuff.

Jim