Old 14-06-2012, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default 'Mater ties

In article
Jim Elbrecht writes:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:36:22 +0000 (UTC), lid (Drew
Lawson) wrote:

Actually, this is my first round with the roll.

My method with the roll after trying a few different ways-- I roll
out 10-20' on the driveway and try to flatten it as much as possible.
Then I snip at the 4 or 5' mark. [I wish I'd made a couple 6' ones
for the Sweet 100s]. I cut right at a weld line so I end up with
6" tails that I use to sink into the dirt. Rarely have to add any
additional supports.

That's about what I've done with the 4x8 mats -- making 8 foot tall
cages, sunk about a foot into the ground. The 5 foot roll (rather
than the 4 foot sheet) should make a ~25% wider cage, which I expect
to be a good thing. And I can vary the height that way. I like
about 6 foot, with indeterminate tomato varieties.

I also saved some flat 5x5 pieces that I train some cukes on every
year. I just make a self supporting 2-sided teepee with it and
plant 8-10 cukes around the base. Keeps them up out of the dirt and
slugs.

That gives me a few ideas for other climbers. I don't have any
peas in this year, but a mesh A-frame would probably be good there.

My current plans will use up about half of the roll I have. So I
can experiment a lot with the rest.

--
Drew Lawson
"Please understand that we are considerably less interested