Old 15-06-2012, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Need advice on how to build a small rockery

mogga wrote:

I am digging one out at the moment.

To follow the advice of whoever built this one:

Bury tons of bricks.
Plant horribly spikey conifer.
Bury some of the biggest pieces of concrete you can find.
Also bury some nice pieces of stone but save a few for the top.
Cover the soil with bin bags which will be really fragile in 20 years
time.
Plant several other conifers too.

On the bright note we need hardcore for water container bases on the
allotment so I can get rid of all ballast there!

Quite possibly. My last house (many years ago now) was built
on sand - you only had to dig one spit deep, and you were in
pretty much pure sand. I was only there for a couple of years
(half of which it was on the market) so didn't really get to
grips with it.

I did remove what was supposed to be a rockery in the middle of
the lawn. I was able to manhandle the stones away, until I got to
the bottom and found one at least 3 ft x 2 ft x 1 ft. It
resisted all efforts with levers. Being sand, I quickly dug a
trench alongside, and nudged it in, and soon had it all
buried.

I just hope nobody tries to plant a tree there ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.