Old 15-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Greedo Greedo is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
Greedo wrote:
Hi all, I've just moved into my first house and har a east facing
garden. On
The left of it I've built a raised bed, but having never owned a
garden before I'm unsure what to plant in my south facing bed, that
has sunlight from around 8am-midday.

Any tips?

Thanks a lot

What is your climate and soil? It matters.

What do you want out of your garden and what are you prepared to put into
it? Nobody can guess that from half a world away. You might want to eat,
to play , to admire or just to sit, or some combination. You might be
prepare to work 4 hours a day or 4 hours a month. It matters.

David
I'm afraid this is all new to me, so you'll have to bear with. The garden is east facing, and I have a raised bed that faces the south. The sun shines onto the bed from (I've re-adjusted my times here) 8am - 2pm.

I'm not looking to grow veg or fruit (I have a different bed for that), nor am I interested in bedding plants (dislike having to replace them every year). I'm after plants that I can plant, and will last a long time.

Along the back of the bed, I have planted some sweet peas, to grow up Trellis' on my fence. I planted these mainly because I read they attract bee's to pollinate my runner beans.

I live in Nottingham (midlands), UK. I'm afraid I have no idea about what type of soil I have, although I have dug in 2 bags of compost into the top foot of the raised bed. (the bed itself is about 2feet tall)