Old 15-06-2012, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default More mushrooms

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 06/15/2012 01:22 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 06/15/2012 12:48 AM, Sacha wrote:
Mushrooms in shops are not expensive to buy. Ask yourself how much
your
health is worth compared to a punnet of mushrooms.

A kilo of Cepes costs 50 to 75 EU in a French market. Cheaper far to
gather your own if you can. We put up many kilos for use during the
coming year. And they're much tastier than the standard supermarket
mushroom.

Define 'put up' please? Do you dry them or use other methods?

Hi Ophelia,

It's way too humid in our house to dry mushrooms, or much of anything
else! But I do know a couple of people who string them on a thread
and hang them to dry.

We freeze them, either uncooked for the best quality cepes or cooked for
mixed bolet, girolles, hedgehog etc.

Cooked is very easy, just saute until done in butter, cool, and bag in
around 200gm quantities. You can add these later to soups, sauces etc,
sometimes without even thawing.

For the raw frozen ones, we clean carefully and cut into about 5mm
slices, then lay out on trays which go into the freezer at -36C. The
frozen slices are then bagged as for the cooked. The raw frozen ones
can be sauteed directly for omelets etc and are pretty much
indistinguishable from fresh cepes.

HTH

Thank you, that is most helpful I have a dehydrator but have never been
happy with reconstituted dried mushrooms.

Your way sounds much better ) I treat other veg in some similar ways,
but never have done so with mushrooms!

Thank you again!!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/