Old 15-06-2012, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike L Mike L is offline

Default Colour of Rhubarb ?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:30:15 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Nick wrote

Rob G wrote:

A discussion has arisen over the colour of rhubarb stems. Is the
concentration of the red colour related to variety, environment or the
weather ?

Er, yes?

I believe primarily the first, but probably the others, plus the
age of the plant and the stems. The truth is rarely pure and
never simple (Oscar Wilde).

I agree, on our last allotment we had a few different varieties of rhubarb
(from other plotholders) and one always had thinner redder tastier stems. I
have no idea what variety it was but it was certainly the best of the bunch.

This is a good moment to ask about the oxalic acid and soluble
oxalates. I read somewhere that even when turning green, the stems
don't contain the unhealthy concentration found in the leaves. 1), is
this true? and 2), is there a degree of greening in the petioles which
indicates unsafe levels?

--
Mike.