Old 15-06-2012, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default slabbed patio

On 15/06/2012 18:52, Jake wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 18:45:50 +0100, Mike wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:26:08 +0100, "Bob
wrote:
[...]
** works only on green leaves, you spray them and they take it down to the
roots and it then kills the plant. It does become degraded in the soil so
will leave no lasting weedkiller.

If I may drift the thread a little, I said very firmly, on a
non-gardening newsgroup in which the subject had arisen for some
reason, that glyphosate worked only on growing green parts of plants.
I was equally firmly told by a couple of posters that they had
successfully used glyphosate to kill leafless stumps. Are we
underestimating the compound's power?

I have successfully injected glyphosate into stems of marestail but,
in general, it has to be absorbed into the plant's "bloodstream" to
get down to the roots and I would not have thought that simply
spraying it onto a stump would achieve that. More likely the plant
died because it didn't have leaves!

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?

Hang on Jake, there was no mention of spraying the stumps, they probably
drilled holes and then filled them with undiluted glyphosate.
david @ the wet end of Swansea Bay