Old 16-06-2012, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Garlic too small

On Jun 15, 3:44*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I usually plant cloves of garlic between roses to discourage pests;
seems to work pretty well.

However, when the foliage dries out and droops and I dig up the
garlic, it's never a full head with cloves. Just one Tiny.

What am I doing wrong?

Or is this the way it's supposed to be?

HB

To grow big heads of garlic you need to start with a big clove as the "seed"
and then feed it moderately without too much competition.

How long is it in the ground before you pick it?

***Duh... haven't kept good track, but it could be 6 mo (?) because
ISTR planting the cloves about the time I prune, which is 3rd week in
January.

Didn't realize size of clove governed side of head! Why is that?
Incidentally, ISTR that cloves were reasonable size.

Feeding, I didn't. Mea culpa? All I did in that bed of roses
was feed *them* as they started to leaf out again. I'd have thought
some of the fertilizer went to the clove of garlic? What was I
supposed to feed it?

HB