Old 15-06-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost

On Jun 15, 5:08*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith" *wrote

Previous years I had bought B&Q compost * - and this choice was reinforced
by
Which?'s best buy result.

This year they have changed the compost - and it is appalling. *The bag I
bought was full of bits of wood - some bits of polythene and also white
mould
on some of the wood.

I have just tried an Aldi bag - and it is much the same (but cheaper). *It
even
had a section of an old green plastic plant tie in it. *There was an awful
lot
of unrotted small wood chippings in it.

I guess this all comes about by local authorities making "compost" from the
recyclable rubbish. *I know that my own does; I have never bought any
directly
from them as I was just not happy at not knowing what was in it. *What if
someone had put some old plant material which had been treated with
weed-killer
in their recyclable refuse?

Moan over.

What do other people use for general purpose compost (growing tomatoes in)
and
also compost for seeds and seedlings?

I got so fed up with the rubbish compost around these days, having to waste
it and buy different and then replant etc that I looked around for a higher
peat compost. Ended up buying Notcutts own multipurpose, after I saw a bag
split open, and it's been good stuff. Bit like Levingtons used to be but a
lot cheaper.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Posted to this Newsgroup from the W of London, UK- Hide quoted text -

Not Judith; but the other one, Judith in France. I used to buy from
Notcutts in Norwich, Norfolk, I enjoyed their help and advice. Here,
in the AuvergNe, I have found a nursery, the owners, a family, have
educated me and I buy a mix from them, inexpensive, Aand great
quality, it's very much like an expesnsive brand in the uk.