Old 16-06-2012, 10:52 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

So what's the alternative? Refuse to answer questions, not give warnings about ease of confusion, leave people panicking because to the lay person every fungus is either honey fungus or deadly?

To answer noname - it still makes sense to give warnings about not eating, because urg isn't just for the people posting, it's also for the lurkers, so although the OP may have said clearly they're not planning to eat the fungus, a lurker may look at the pic and say "oh, that looks like what I've got, and someone says it's edible so I'll try it".

And it's an important message that it's the fungi which look most "familiar" - most like supermarket button mushrooms - which are most likely to be confused with deadly species.

And to diverge completely - I've been in mushroom heaven over the last few weeks - chanterelle, blewitt, horse mushroom, velvet shank, various different oyster types, as well as various chinese/japanese ones. Our supermarket has been upgraded :-)