Old 16-06-2012, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More mushrooms

On 06/16/2012 08:59 PM, wrote:
In article ,
Granity wrote:

It's a shame really that people wont eat a fungi on principle, for there
are some that are superb to eat and not easily confused with poisonous
ones.

Boleti, (avoid any with an orangy-red underside) although some are
inedible such as the peppery bolitus. and the Hedgehog fungus, Hydnum
repandum are easily identifiable and are delicious.

I tried the latter once, and found it as bitter as gall. I don't
like bitter foods ....

If they're older, the water from the first cooking should be thrown out.
Another 20 minutes or so in the pan, and they're not bitter. Not a
problem with younger examples.

Granity, your advice rules out one of the best of the boletes, Boletus
erythropus. Absolutely crunchy after cooking, it has the further
advantage of being one the worms don't like, so that it's usually clean
inside even if the slugs have been at the outside. It turns a lovely
yellow when cooked, and has a fabulous flavour. (Careful, it is toxic
uncooked though. Word has it that it can be confused with satanas,
although I find them very distinct.)