Old 16-06-2012, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Willi Willi is offline

Default ID tree: cordate lvs, toothed margins, please

Am 16.06.2012 19:07, schrieb Rachel 101:
Hello everyone,

I am trying to ID a tree found in a friend's garden, and I need some
help, please. *puppy eyes*

It appears to be a self-sown tree - it's in a very odd location, by the
oil tank, ie not where you would plant something ornamental - and is
currently only about 12' high.

The leaves are cordate (hope I'm getting these terms right:
heart-shaped) and the leaf margins are strongly toothed. The leaves are
matt, light green in colour, and it's definitely not Lime (Tilia),
although the style of the veins is similair: the stalk end of the leaf
is even, not uneven.

The leaves are held on stalks, and are arranged more or less alternately
along the branches, but in bunches of two or three, not singly.

I'm certain it's not any sort of cherry!

I have taken a couple of photos, but I can't upload them (and I have
read the stern warnings about not embedding them) yet: I am hoping that
someone out there might recognise the tree from the description. If not,
when I get back on Monday I will upload the photos and add a link. Sorry
to be a nuisance, I know it's easier to ID from photos: it's the leaves
in bunches that I thought might be the pointer.

And as it's apparently self-sown, it's probably really common!

You guys have been a great help in the past, I hope that you might be
able to throw some suggestions my way. I've tried googling the search
terms and checking "images" for page after page, without luck.

I'm going off-line now, so thank you for reading, and I hope that you
can leave me some suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Rachel

Could it be a birch tree?