Old 17-06-2012, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Frank is offline

Default Changing soil pH - rhodos.

Rob G wrote:
My apologies if this has been covered before - I've done a brief
search and not found anything.

I've an area of some 3m x 6m that I want to plant with rhodos and
azalias. It's currently reading around 7.0 across the plot - ie
neutral. Do I attempt to adjust the whole bed soil and with what, or
should I just dig big planting holes and mix in a lot of peat ?

Measure the pH of the soil with a teat kit. If over 7 buy some flowers
of sulphur and dig in about 4oz/aq yd and leavw for about 6 months. Then
do another pH test. If less than 7 plant out rhodos. Remember that
watering from rhe tap in a hard water area will raise the soil pH
eventually.