Old 17-06-2012, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID tree: cordate lvs, toothed margins, please

In message , Emery Davis
writes
On 06/17/2012 08:46 AM, Rachel 101 wrote:

On 16.06.2012 19:07, Rachel 101 wrote:-
Hello everyone, I am trying to ID a tree:

Could it be a birch tree?
'Preview Page' (http://tinyurl.com/cgyvhdk)

Hi Willi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but no: birch leaves are more-or-less
triangular or diamond-shaped, whereas these are very much heart shaped.

An odd guess but it looks like Davidia involuctrata, the Pocket
Handkerchief tree. I had a dream about this tree last night, probably
because mine keeps growing in the wrong direction, and I am about
decided to try another one this fall.

That was the closest match I could find, but it doesn't, as far as I
know, have the leaves growing on short spurs (side branches).

-E

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley