Old 17-06-2012, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default any organic grass control?

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

In my little garden, after the compost and all, the
local grasses have found nirvana. I am getting tired
of picking their spouts out and am loosing the battle.

Is there an organic method for killing grass, besides
manual labor?

smother it with layers of cardboard and then
put mulch on top of that. overlap the edges.
newsprint also works fine or even landscaping
fabric, old carpeting, etc.

the cardboard and newsprint or pretty much
anything organic will get broken down eventually
and new weeds/grasses might try to come up, but
if you pull them quickly enough they aren't too
difficult to remove.

as you say it is a little garden then that
makes it easier than keeping up with a much
larger space.

however, none of this is accomplished without
a little effort.

songbird