Old 18-06-2012, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Climbing plants support

On 6/17/12 8:41 AM, Julie Thomas wrote:
I have just bought a clematis, jasmine, honeysuckle and a wisteria and I
am about to plant them to grow up our fence. Do I have to have a
trellis? It seems a bit expense and wonder if there is anything cheaper
that will suffice, such as a type of netting or something? I have no
experience at all of gardening and thought this might be a good place to
get advice.

Thanks in anticipation

Julie

I don't know about clematis.

Honeysuckle or true jasmine might be okay on a very sturdy fence. If
the fence is open-work -- not planks or otherwise solid -- it should
provide sufficient support by itself. It is merely necessary for the
vines to twine themselves through the fence. If the fence is solid,
securely fasten a length of 2"x2" (5cmx5cm) horizontally near the top;
hang poultry mesh (chicken wire) from that, using heavy wire staples
(the kind you drive with a hammer, not from an office stapler). Train
the vines to grow on the mesh.

Wisteria requires a very well-engineered support. It will destroy your
fence. Even a trellis would likely not be sufficiently strong. I know
of wisteria vines that were planted about 11 years ago. The main growth
is now about 3" (7.6cm) in diameter, with side shoots over 1" (2.5cm) in
diameter.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see