Old 17-06-2012, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID tree: cordate lvs, toothed margins, please

In message , kay
writes

Stewart Robert Hinsley;962028 Wrote:

Before you posted the photographs I was think maybe hazel (Corylus
avellana). First glance at the photographs I thought Tilia tomentosa.
But it's not either of them.

I wondered about Corylopsis, but on refreshing my memory of that, it's
not. Sacha's suggestion of Mulberry is good for the leaf shape, but I
get the impression from the second pic that the leaves are rather
delicate, say like beech, whereas mulberry leaves are much tougher,
more
like nettle. And I'm not sure I've ever seen mulberry self seed.

Morus nigra has leaves which are very rough to the touch. This plant
looks as if it has woolly leaves.

The fact that the leaves are on short spurs should be helpful. But all
that I can think of with leaves on short spurs is the arborescent
Rosaceae, and I can't think of any of them which has leaves of the right
shape.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley