Old 18-06-2012, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Glyphosate

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:44:38 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other bushes.

--

I have used glyphosate next to woody stems without problems. BUT if
there's a leaf and glyphosate hits it, it's on its way into the plant.

If you need to use it close to other plants then there are techniques
to try carefully. For example, if you have the glyphosate in a small
hand sprayer, you could cut the bottom off a large pop bottle and
encase the plant you want to kill in that then spray through the cap -
leave the bottle in place until the spray dries, though. Or you can
wrap the plants you want to keep in polythene, again leaving it in
place until the spray has dried on the plants you hit with the
glyphosate.

Some people paint glyphosate onto something with a paintbrush but you
need to be careful that whatever is painted doesn't blow against
something else while still wet.

There is a "new" product from Roundup that seems to work on the basis
of rubbing some sort of pad against the foliage of whatever it is you
want to kill but I haven't tried that (and as it has the "Roundup"
name on it, probably won't).

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?