Old 18-06-2012, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID tree: cordate lvs, toothed margins, please

In article ,
Rachel 101 wrote:

Nick - when I said "exotics" I should have said "ornamentals", sorry. I
think it was self-set, rather than a bought-and-planted ornamental,
which is why I suspected it would turn out to be something embarassingly
common. It's a young tree, I only noticed it for the first time last
year, so I can't comment on the older bark - it's currently plain smooth
light grey. It's growing in the oil-tank's unlovely hidden corner, on a
steep bank, right hard up against a brick wall - clearly not a place
where you would choose to plant a tree of any sort.

But my point still stands! Rhododendron and buddleia are both
ornamentals and self-seed, and so do many others. While it
probably is something very common, that's not a given.

I will take look in Bean for some of the suggestions, but I
don't have much of a clue, and that leaf shape is very common.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.